Residence Life

Bridgewater College is a residential campus. Students will meet people who will impact their life, have opportunities to express opinions, share ideas, and make a difference in the campus community.

Bridgewater College residential housing features a combination of traditional halls, suites, and apartments. Each hall has Resident Advisors (RAs) assigned to assist students with concerns and encourage their connection to the campus community. There are also full-time live-on professional staff members (Area Coordinators and Assistant Directors) who serve in a 24/7 on-call rotation to assist with emergency concerns after hours. Residence Life staff offers programs and activities in campus housing throughout the academic year to encourage personal, social, and academic development.

Students are responsible for their behavior in the residence halls, as well as proper care of their rooms and furniture. Expected behavior is outlined in the Eagle Handbook and addressed through Student Conduct. Damage to rooms and furniture, or to other College property, will be assessed and charged to those assigned to the space.

Bridgewater College has five (5) official breaks during the academic year: Fall, Thanksgiving, Winter, Spring and April. During these times, students are required to vacate all campus housing. Students may request permission to remain on campus during breaks if they meet specific criteria. Students permitted to stay will be charged per night on campus, unless they are staying due to a college obligation (ie. athletics, class trips, international travel). Dining services are closed during all five breaks and will resume the evening prior to the start of classes.

Bridgewater College requires all full-time undergraduate students to live on campus for the fall and spring semesters unless they meet certain criteria. A student can apply to live off campus if they meet one of the following conditions and provide the proper documentation to support their request:

  1. The student lives with their parent(s)or legal guardian(s)within one of the following counties: Augusta, Highland, Page, Rockingham and Shenandoah.
  2. The student is under 16 or 23 years of age or older at the start of the school year.
  3. The student is/was a member of the armed forces.
  4. The student is married or is a custodial parent.
  5. The student is enrolled as a part-time student (taking fewer than 12 credit hours per semester).
  6. The student is a fifth-year senior.
  7. 3+2 MSAT student entering their 4th year

Students wishing to apply to live off campus may obtain an Off-Campus Housing Application form from the Department of Student Life, KCC 104 ( or on MyBC under Commuters.

Students are strongly discouraged from signing a lease for an off-campus rental property until they receive written approval from the Director of Residential Life and Community Standards, their designee, or the Housing Accommodation Review Board. If they are not approved to live off campus and sign a lease prematurely, they will have to pay room and board fees on campus as well as their off-campus rent.